Friday, July 4, 2008

The two sharpest dressed men I know

I observe the way men dress. And much too often I'm not terribly impressed. As I've heard some say before, fashion can be bought, but style is inherent. Nothing makes me cringe more than to see the number of men who wear odd fitting pants -- indeed the floods seem to be back in style. And some of the combinations, when it comes to color coordination, are astonishing. Yet, my faith in fashion is restored when I see my two friends who take dapper to an entirely new level. The first is Bill Roundtree, at the Neiman Marcus men's suiting department in King of Prussia, PA. Bill is an incredibly sharp dresser and a consummate gentlemen. He's always really well put together and it appears always as though he never even has to try. I once asked Bill how he got such a thick knot on his ties. "If I told you, I'd have to kill you," he responded jokingly. The other guy who graced the pages of Esquire is Clifton Wilson. He used to work in the men's suit department at Nordstrom, but now works for UPS. Clifton introduced me to the three-piece Hickey Freeman suit. Aah...now that's a suit. Peal lapels, side vents, ticket pockets, flared bottoms. Clifton wore a suit like it was made of spandex. It fit him like a glove. I'm not sure where Clifton is these days, but I'm sure he's setting fashion trends at UPS. Thanks to Bill and Clifton for keeping my faith alive in the ability to dress well and look good - always.

No comments: