Thursday, July 17, 2008

Collar stays

I have a pet peeve. It's those guys who wear formal shirts with dog ear collars. Why is that? I think its because they put plastic stays in their collars and that makes the collar very susceptible to bending. That's why I believe that every business professional should own a pair of good collar stays. They call stays "bones" in England. I've got a few lovely stays that keep my shirts crisp. Depending on what you like to spend, here's the spill. Jan Leslie (former Wharton school) has a beautiful line of color stays that are fun to wear. You can also buy a set from Charles Tyrwhitt, the Madison Avenue and Savile Row clothier. Oh, of course there is Tiffany & Co. for the beautiful sterling silver set. Whatever you buy, just make sure it ain't plastic.

In fact, someone recently tried to sell me a Stefano Ricci shirt. It's a great shirt with genuine mother of pearl buttons. The problem with Ricci is that the collar stay is built into the collar and it's not a metal stay. Over a few wears, the shirt begins to lose its stiff collar appeal. So my recommendation is to only buy shirts that allow you to place a stay in the collar. That way, you won't be barking at your next sales presentation.

No comments: